In the times of old, during the time of Moses and the prophets of old, the Lord spoke very audibly both in a still and loud voice. Can you recall the story in the Bible, when the Lord spoke to the Israelites from mount Horeb? The mountain shook and all even Moses was afraid of the countenance of His Presence and the sound of His voice (Exodus 20:19). God spoke to Elijah in a different way; in a still small voice (1 Kings 19:11-13). Before I became aware of the dynamics of hearing the voice of God, I used to pray earnestly to hear His audible voice. Have you been praying earnestly to hear Gods audible voice? Hoping that He’ll someday call you the way he called Samuel (1 Samuel 3:1-10)? No need to wait any further, He is speaking to you right now.
A voice is quite different from a sound, because a voice is expressed in words. The voice of God is different from any other because His voice releases his word which is the power of God at work. When the voice of the Lord was released into Lazarus’s dead situation, the power of God brought him back to life!! (John 11:43-44). I pray this would your portion today, Amen.
Does this mean there are different ways by which He speaks?
Yes, the Lord speaks in different ways as evident in the Scriptures.
- Studying the Word of God written in the Bible is a sure way of hearing Gods voice because the Scriptures speaks, it is spirit and life (John 15:3, John 6:63).
- Speaking the word of God into your life is also a way of hearing Him speak to you. When you in total surrender to the Holy Spirit, submit yourself and will to Him, He gives you utterances, He speaks to and by you (2Samuel 23: 2-3). For example; Before a man of God preach the word, he surrenders all, so that his words are not just mere words, but of the Holy Spirit speaking to and by Him.
- God speaks through dreams, visions and interpretations (Daniel 2:1-49)
- God speaks through signs (Judges 6:17)
- God Speaks through your Conscience, which he has given you to discern between good and evil. A confirmation of having a godly conscience is the peace you experience from obeying his voice (Isaiah 48:22, Phil 4:7). if you suppress your conscience long enough, you stop hearing from it.
- God speaks audibly to you (Acts 9:4-7)
How to Hear God’s Voice
- Submit yourself to the holy Spirit in obedience
- Let Christ be the focus of your attention
- Do not strife with the Spirit of the Lord (Acts 7:51, Genesis 6:3)
- Learn to have a quiet time alone with God
- Ask the Lord for Wisdom and understanding to discern when He is speaking to you.
The good news for every child of God is that we are made of God, we have his seed in us. This gives us access to His divine presence. Christ gave an ultimatum when he said in(John 10:27,5) “My sheep hear my voice and they follow me, they will by no means follow the stranger”. He didn’t say “my sheep will hear my voice”. This is a witness that you have all you need to hear Gods voice. It’s like a radio, designed to tune into the radio waves, with varying frequencies. It doesn’t do so automatically until connected to a socket or fixed with a battery which generates the power that enables it to do so. The word of God is the socket you need today and the Holy spirit is the electricity that automatically connects you to the Channel of Life. Now the degree of wave frequency channelled into your life depends on how receptive you are willing to be.